Saturday, April 11, 2009

I Saw an Angel at Augusta






by: B. J. Hathaway, G.S.E.B., M.C.I. Medicus Certified Instructor
The Golfing Machine Authorized Instructor


I was fortunate to attend the Masters twice this year and of course the beauty of this place is like no other that I have witnessed. As an instructor, I have a real appreciation for the skill that these players have. For the true golf aficionado, there is nothing like the sound of compression of ball against club at impact created by the best players in the world.

But.....not everything about Masters week was perfect. Personal favorites like Ernie Els and Fred Couples didn't make the cut. Our own Georgia boy Stewart Cink just barely missed the mark, and big names like Choi, Goosen, Norman, and Scott had to pack their bags early. And of course we sadly say goodbye to two of golf's ambassadors: Player and Zoeller.

On Monday however, I did see an angel play at the Masters, or as we know him- Angel Cabrera. Now here is a guy who walks with a swagger. He just has that look about him that says, I belong here in the spotlight. He's comfortable on the course, but just slightly impatient. He is golf's version of John Wayne, except he chews gum and carries a Ping driver. He has a U.S. Open title, and 3 top ten finishes and 5 top 25's at Augusta.

Only Sunday will tell, but I think there's a good chance an Angel will be dressed in green.


No comments:

Post a Comment